Downloaded video is no longer a game for bleeding edge. Amazon launched Unbox a few minutes ago and … lots of cool stuff inside:
- $1.99 credit for trying it out today. Get a free episode of television right now
- $20 credit for buying certain devices. Apple, will you match?
- Both iTunes and Apple offer Firefly – but only Amazon offers Office Space and V is for Vendetta (unless of course, they make some announcement next week).
- Quoting here – “US customers only. You can keep purchased videos on 2 PCs and 2 portable video players at the same time.“
- You can both rent and buy films. V is $13.87 to buy, $3.99 to rent. And, if you lost your purchase, you can download it from Amazon again. Apple, are you reading this?
- Quality promised is “DVD Quality.” Tried to watch your Video iPod on your television, ever?
- You can also transfer to certain “Plays for Sure” devices including: Creative Zen Vision: M, Creative Zen Vision, Toshiba Gigabeat S, Archos AV 500, Archos AV 700, iRiver PMC (Portable Media Center)
I'm sure the ‘Sphere will be all abuzz by the time I publish this.
I couldn't be more thrilled. Apple needed a real competitor, and it sure wasn't looking to be Microsoft.